POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : isosurface changes : Re: isosurface changes Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface changes
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 5 Sep 2001 07:08:20
Message: <3B9607A1.14F0545B@atosorigin.com>
Sigmund Kyrre Aas wrote:

> I see that contained_by has changed in such a way that the container
> shows up at boundaries. I have a cylindrical object contained by a
> box. Squares appear at the ends, whilst in Mega cylindrical ends are
> traced. Feature or bug?

May I say: RTFM !! (section 6.5.4)

open When the isosurface isn't fully contained within the contained_by object,
there will be a cross section. Where this happens, you will see the surface of
the container. With the open keyword, these cross section surfaces are removed.
The inside of the isosurface becomes visible. Note that open slows down the
render speed. Also, it is not recommended to use it with CSG operations.

But there is nevertheless a bug, because adding 'open' do not work too much
(the cross section is not illuminated, but still cast shadows and block
background.

Updated pov-scene (complete), the Pov-team may want to comment out the 'open'...
---
#declare e=exp(1);
#declare kurvatur=.4*e;

#declare segmentL=.5;
#declare Rad=0;
isosurface {
    function { kurvatur*sqrt( cos(x/segmentL) )+y^2+z^2-Rad }
    threshold 1
    max_gradient 5.284
    accuracy 0.001
    open